PE and Sport
At Cleves, we pride ourselves, not only in the sporting facilities we offer, but also our overall provision and the opportunities our pupils have to take part in physical activity. We were delighted, that in June 2022, we were awarded the School Games Platinum award for the third time demonstrating our commitment to high quality provision and competitive opportunities provided to all our pupils. We have fantastic facilities including sports hall, dance studio, multi use games area and a large playing field.
All pupils at Cleves spend at least two and half hours a week taking part in physical education. This includes one indoor session and one outdoor session per week as well as 30 minutes taking part in personal challenges, known as our Active 30:30 session. Throughout the four years, pupils are taught to improve their running, jumping, throwing and catching skills in a range of contexts. This in turn, allows pupils to develop their flexibility, strength, technique and balance. These skills are then applied to competitive games, whereby basic principles of developing tactics of attacking and defending are taught. In years 3/4, the focus is on core movement skills, utilising the resources provided by REAL PE. As the pupils progress through the school they then begin to apply these skills to identified sports such as football, rugby, netball, tennis, cricket, badminton, basketball and indoor athletics. Gymnastics and dance is taught to all year groups for at least one term per year. Children attend swimming lessons in year 5 if they cannot swim at least 25m and/or meet the new National Curriculum requirements.
In addition, all pupils are supported to develop healthy lifestyles and build character through PE, Games and Active 30:30 lessons. They are also given the opportunity to develop the values of team-work, respect and fairness.
Providing competitive opportunities for our pupils is one of our key priorities and is an area we have focused on in recent years. Prior to the pandemic, in 2018/19, 625 pupils represented the school in a competition or festival. This was achieved through building and maintaining close relationships with our local primary schools. As a result, a wide range of festivals and competitions took place targeting pupils of all abilities. We also have a house system at Cleves which further increases the number of competitions that take place during the school year.
In September 2019, WWHSP (Walton, Weybridge and Hersham Sport Partnership) was formed and is being led by Cleves. The aim of the partnership is to increase participation opportunities for the pupils of the 11 local schools involved. The partnership has the following agreed aims:
- A local competition and festival offer - targeting as many pupils as possible but with the focus on those pupils who do not always get the opportunity to represent their schools in sport.
- An inclusive offer – providing specific sporting opportunities for disadvantaged and vulnerable pupils in each of our schools
- A CPD offer - sharing our expertise and knowledge across the partnership to enhance PE and Sport provision and therefore outcomes in Physical Education.
- An excellence offer – providing opportunities for our more able pupils to be developed and challenged further. Pupils working together across the partnership.
- Leadership offer – offering opportunities for our young people to be involved in the leading and officiating of competitions and festivals.
- A facilities and resource offer – opening up and sharing facilities and resources to all schools in the partnership. Local sports clubs and organisations will partner with us to help deliver our aims.
At Cleves, we also have a number of more able athletes and individuals and the school has the reputation for always producing teams of a high standard, both physically and in terms of their sportsmanship. Our football team were National Champions in 2016 and 2018 and we regularly win district and county competitions. More recently, we have focused on athletics and as a result have competed strongly in a number of inter district competitions.
To find out more about our provision and offer, please click here to find out how we spend our Sports Premium funding.