IT and Computing
At Cleves, we believe in developing students that are confident using a wide range of IT platforms and software. In addition to the use of IT across all subjects in the curriculum, we believe that computing itself is a vitally important concept. One hour per week is specifically timetabled for the allocation of delivering the computing curriculum which builds vital skills and confidence in the students.
The students have access to the following devices for the delivery of the Curriculum:
- 70 Chromebooks in every year group
- 60 iPads
- 30 Chrome Tablets
- 30 laptops
- A class set of Virtual Reality headsets
- An exclusive multimedia room
- A radio station which the children broadcast from weekly
- Apple Macs
The curriculum we provide ensures that students develop a deep understanding of in a range of computing aspects. The curriculum builds on skills and knowledge learned in previous years and ensures that students are challenged in exciting and innovative ways.
- Digital Citizenship, which is at the core of all we do, ensures that students have a clear awareness of the issues faced when using new technologies and how to best protect themselves from negative experiences.
- Coding and programming are presented using a number of platforms and touches on different coding languages. This includes Scratch/hour of code (website) and lego. Finally, this culminates in the use of Lego Mindstorms in year 6 where students develop a real deep understanding of coding/programming language.
- Computing skills looks at the fundamentals of using both the Google and Microsoft programmes including highlighting the similarities/differences of each.
- Music/Animation - students are challenged to be more creative using current apps to develop musical and animated projects.
We fully believe that the computing experience at Cleves produces confident and engaged students who are ready to face the digital challenges that lie ahead, in this ever-changing environment.
To read more about the intent, implementation and impact of our curriculum at Cleves, please click the link below.