Literacy and Maths
In 2014 the Government introduced a brand new National Curriculum to be taught in all state schools. In this new curriculum, English, Maths, Science and Computing remain very important and are considered the core subjects in both primary and secondary education. The National Curriculum sets out in some detail what must be taught in each of these subjects, and they will take up a substantial part of your child’s learning week.
Much of the publicity about the changes to the curriculum has focused on ‘higher expectations’ in various subjects, and it is certainly the case that in some areas the content of the new primary curriculum is significantly more demanding than in the past. For example, in mathematics there is now much greater focus on the skills of arithmetic and also on working with fractions. In science, a new unit of work on evolution is introduced for Year 6; work which would have previously been studied in secondary school. In English lessons there will now be more attention paid to the study of grammar and spelling; an area which was far less notable in previous curricula.
2016 also sees an overhaul of the national curriculum tests (commonly referred to as SATs) for both Year 2 and Year 6 children to match the newly updated national curriculum.
As a result we have held a number of parent workshops based on reading, grammar and maths with a particular focus on how parents can support their child at home. During the sessions a number of handouts were provided and referred to which can be downloaded below.
- Reading Comprehension Information for Parents - click here
- Reading Workshop Notes - click here
- Reading Cards Lower School - click here
- Reading List Information Letter - click here
- Year 3 Reading List - click here
- Year 4 Reading List - click here
- Year 5 Reading List - click here
- Year 6 Reading List - click here
- Literacy Best Practice Guidance - click here
- Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling Progression Document - click here
- Grammar Terminology - click here
- Mental Maths Handout - click here
- Addition and Subtraction Workshop notes (7th Feb) - click here
- Year 6 Maths Genius activities - click here (you must be signed out of your google account)
- Year 6 SATs Meeting Notes 2018 - click here
We have also put together a number of videos which show the maths teaching strategies we use in school. These videos could also be used by Year 6 pupils as a revision aid as there are examples to try after each tutorial. If you feel there is certain area of maths or a strategy missing, please let us know by emailing Mr Smith (email@example.com.
We have arranged the videos under the headings below. Please click on each link to be taken to the video tutorial
- Addition (3 digit numbers) - click here
- Addition (4 and 3 digit numbers) - click here
- Addition with decimals - click here
- Subtraction (exchanging required) - click here
- Subtraction (exchanging required - numbers of different length) - click here
- Subtraction with decimals - click here
- Multiplication - click here
- Long Multiplication - click here
- Multiplication with decimals - click here
- Adding Fractions - click here
- Subtracting Fractions - click here
- Multiplying Fractions - click here
- Dividing Fractions - click here
- Improper Fractions - click here
- Equivalent Fractions - click here